Sunday 19 January 2014

I got lucky in the snow.

So I pulled my hamstring on the 15th of December and needed to recover.  The process took longer than I anticipated.  In hindsight, I should have gone straight to see a physio.

It took 20 days to recover properly in all. By January the 3rd I was able to put in 5k without feeling any strain.  I managed to do a nice 10k on Friday the 10th of January.

Then I went to France for a week of Skiing, Snowboarding and French cuisine.  I like to travel when I am on the slopes and get serious mileage in, so I was concerned.  I felt I was recovered but was concerned the wrong move could set me back.  I threw caution to the wind and got lucky!  I had a niggle free week.  I didn't manage to do any walking though.

I got back from France last night - 18th of January, five weeks after my injury.  I was itching to resume training.  I put on a few pounds in France - cheese, saussison, wine, beer, apres ski etc.  Perfect training fuel for the next few months!

Normally I would do a long walk on a Sunday.  Being unfit and anxious about pushing too hard too quickly I opted for a 22k loop with Michelle(!), which we managed to fit in round family commitments.  
I was really happy to get round in 2:15 6:13/km average.  Hamstring is fine, but the rest of me is feeling very sore from unused muscles.  Adductors and lower back in particular.  A much needed release of endorphins though.  Easy to forget how good it feels to get decent miles in.  Need a lazy afternoon to recover now.

Feeling UBER positive...I'm back!




No comments:

Post a Comment